The older I get the more I’m open to experiment and try new and different things in the wonderful world of food. Since having my daughter I’ve been trying to eat better and figure out healthier versions of the foods I love. I’ve been researching how to make healthier versions of desserts. I’ve looked into food substitutions. One item I came across was substituting flour with black beans. That peaked my interest. Can you really use black beans instead of flour and taste like the real thing? The other thing I keep hearing a lot about is using coconut oil versus vegetable. So I decided to try making Black Bean Brownies. I was skeptical. Whenever I try something new I look up quite a few versions off the recipe before trying to put together my own version.
Black Bean Brownies
- 1 Can (15 oz) Black Beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 Eggs
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 2/3 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 1/4 Cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Rise and drain black beans. Then purée black beans in either a food processor or blender. You want to purée it till it looks like a paste.
- Whisk together black beans, eggs, coconut oil, and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl whisk together cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Pour dry ingredients in with wet ingredients.
- Pour in 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Pour into a muffin pan. I always use liners to keep the mess and clean up down. If you don’t use liners, spray with cooking spray before pouring the mix into the pan.
- Sprinkle the last 1/4 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips on top.
- Place in oven and cook for 30 minutes. Do not over cook, you want the brownies to be moist.
- Let cool, then eat.
I was super surprised to find out how good these brownies taste. They really tasted like the regular version. I’ve been using the Lose It app for the last 5 years, as I’ve been trying to lose weight. So I inputted this recipe and the total calories was 240 calories. The great news is each brownie has 4 grams of fiber. If you are like me and have to track and watch your fiber intake, this was great. If you want to cut down the calories, a quick way to get them down to 190-200 calories is to cut the chocolate chips down by half from 1 1/4 cups to 2/3 cups. I hope you enjoyed this post. I am about to eat another one.