Christmas is almost here. I took off this week and have been spending most of it getting ready for the holiday. Making christmas gifts and cookies with my daughter, wrapping gifts, and getting ready for christmas dinner. Dinner is at my mom’s house this year, so I’ll just be brining a few dishes. I’ll be bringing a carrot cake (which I posted the recipe in another post) and baked mac & cheese. I’ll be sharing in this post my baked mac and cheese recipe. It took me years to figure out the right recipe. I’ve made it a few different ways over the years and finally figured out the perfect recipe.
Baked Mac & Cheese
- 1 Pkg Large Elbow Macaroni
- 1/2 Stick Butter
- 1/4 Cup Flour
- 1 tsp All Purpose Seasoning (italian type seasoning)
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 3 Cups Milk
- 1 Pinch Nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 Cups Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Cup Shredded Mild Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 Block Velveeta Cheese (cubed)
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Cook macaroni
- Melt 1/2 stick of butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- When butter starts to foam and bubble, stir in flour, cook on medium heat until flour just begins to turn pale yellow, 3-4 minutes.
- Add all purpose seasoning, cayenne pepper, and pepper. Cook and stir another minute.
- Whisk in 1 cup of milk until smooth.
- Pour in remaining milk and whisk.
- Bring to just a simmer.
- Stir in nutmeg, worcestershire sauce, and salt, simmer on medium low heat until thickened, about 8 mintues.
- Add velveeta cheese and let melt. Once melted add 2 cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese and dijon mustard.
- Pour cook macaroni into a prepared baking dish (spray with pam), top with cheese sauce, and stir.
- Top with 1 cup of mild cheddar cheese.
- Bake for about 30 – 45 minutes, till browned.
- Then serve.
A few additional tips. I really like to use large macaroni for this recipe, not the regular smaller kind. For cheese I like Sargento. I use to think cheese was just cheese, but I’ve learned there is a difference and Sargento is the best. It melts great and has a great taste. Don’t skip adding the dijon mustard, it really does make a difference and add a great flavor. Enjoy. I’m already looking forward to having this on Christmas. Its so rich and delicious I only have it on the holidays.