A few weeks ago I spent some time doing some meal prepping. During that meal prep session I took some flank steak, cut it in strips, marinaded the meat, and put it in the freezer. For this recipe I took that meat out of the freezer and let it defrost. Since I already added the marinade, it was marinading at the same time it was defrosting. This Beef & Broccoli is better than take out and any meal kit you could buy. Once you make this, you will never buy take out again.
Better than Take Out Beef & Broccoli
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 lbs flank steak, sliced into thin strips
- 3/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbsp flour
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil, divided. Half goes into sauce and other half for cooking
- 1 bag of frozen broccoli
- To marinate meat, whisk together all ingredients. Place meat and marinade in ziploc bag and marinate overnight. Since I added the marinade to the meat before I froze it, it was marinating while it was defrosting. Once it was fully defrosted, it was ready to cook.
- In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, flour, and 2 tbsp vegetable oil. Set aside.
- Heat a large wok or sauté pan with 1 tbsp of oil over medium high heat. Add broccoli and cook till no longer frozen and warm. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Add another tbsp of oil, add meat, and half of the sauce. Cook until the meat is done.
- Add broccoli and remaining sauce. Cook for a few minutes, then its ready.
- Serve over brown or white rice.
This was enough for that nights dinner and leftovers for the next night. It warmed up pretty good the next day. For the rice, you may need to add a little water to ensure it stays soft when you warm it up.